Sunday, October 16, 2016

Listening To My Body


It's been four weeks since I posted on this blog -- something you may or may not have noticed. To say I've been "busy" and even "overwhelmed" would be a fairly substantial understatement. Sometimes, life is like that. And I think I can reasonably assume that you (each and every one of you that read this) have noticed that.

I won't bore you with the gory details. Suffice it to say, they've been pretty gory. Emotionally, not physically, but gory nonetheless. Yet here I am, still standing (so far) and back for another round. Or another year. Or another dance around the floor of being useful. It's my mission.

One of the things I did while I was among the missing (as it were) was to see my endocrinologist for the first time in a year. I have a primary doctor who is very good at doctoring people with our condition. Which is a good thing because my endocrinologist has thousands of patients (trust me, you don't want to think about how many). But I like to touch base from time to time and so I had a bunch of blood work done, made a list of the supplements I take, and showed up at his door for our annual conversation.

He was pleased with my "numbers." My A1C was 6.7. Not great, but good. Some believe that being above 6 is acceptable and maybe even preferable for those over 70, such as myself. I'd like to be at 6.2, but with no more exercise than I'm getting (an hour 2 or 3 times per week), 6.7 is probably as good as it's gonna get.

My other numbers were good as well. My LDL ("bad" cholesterol) was up just a little because I've been eating more cheese since I quit eating meat. And I quit taking my statin drug, too. But more exercise and a little Red Yeast Rice will help with that. Especially since my HDL ("good" cholesterol) is through the roof. In any case, he didn't seem worried. In fact, he suggested replacing the statin drug with the Red Yeast Rice, since I'm otherwise doing very well.

What pleased me even more than my numbers, though, was what he said to me as we were getting ready to part ways. "You listen to your body," he said, looking at me pointedly. "You pay attention to what your body is telling you. So I work with you."

Then, he gave me a number I can use to text him with any questions I have between our visits. And some samples of a new insulin and a new thyroid replacement drug he's favoring. And waved good-bye until next time.

What's my point? If your doctor visits don't sound like this and you wish they did, maybe you should pick up a copy of my book, Your Life Isn't Over ~ It May Have Just Begun!, and try what I've done to reach this point. It's just a suggestion. But it's working for me.
_____________________________
Note: Do not take or stop taking anything just because you read about it on this blog. I am not a medical professional of any kind. Only your own doctor can responsibly prescribe your treatment. If you doubt your doctor for any reason, shop around, but diabetes is nothing to play with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment