Sunday, June 5, 2016

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety-Jog

The past couple of weeks have been an adventure. As I told you in my last blog post, I left for Cuba on May 24th to plan a conference there for 2017. That would have been adventure enough, needless to say. I hoped that I would have time before I got on the plane to schedule a post for last Sunday, but that didn't happen.

So I told myself that I'd jump right on the internet as soon as I was state-side again on June 1st to make up for leaving you hanging. But by the time I got back, I was so wiped out physically, psychologically, and emotionally, that didn't happen either.

Then, when I sat down to write this eight hours ago, I discovered that, while my connection to the internet was just fine last night, it was non-existent this morning. I thought maybe it would right itself by this afternoon, but it didn't. And I just spent the last four hours figuring out how to fix the problem. I guess. For now. No thanks to the three different tech support people I talked with in-depth, only two of which I could understand.

So -- after being under the radar for two weeks -- what do I have to share with you today about managing diabetes while traveling (especially outside the country)?

1) Take an entire duplicate glucometer system to test your glucose levels -- just in case. Day One in Cuba, I dropped my lancing device on the floor, losing a tiny piece of it. But I didn't have to panic because I had another one in the second testing kit I had the common sense to bring. As I watched the lancing device shatter into multiple pieces, I patted myself on the back for that one.

2) Carry your insulin, needles, and swabs in your shoulder bag so they're always close at hand. I didn't check my suitcase anyway, but I still felt reassured that if (for any reason), they snatched my suitcase at the door of the plane (the way they sometimes do), I wouldn't have to throw it open in the aisle and dig around for my supplies while the pilot held the plane and all the other passengers watched.

3) Dig out your medical bracelet and, if you don't have one, get one. This is no time to be stylish. This is a time to be safe. Mine reads "Insulin-dependent Diabetic. I also carry a card in my wallet that says in bold letters: "I AM DIABETIC." And I added a sheet for this trip listing my name, national citizenship, next of kin's contact information, medications with dosages (including insulin), and all the supplements I take (more than a couple, I assure you).

3) Carry a protein bar (or two or three) for when you need a little something. Especially if you don't speak the language where you're going. This will help you not to grab other edibles that could seriously mess up your eating regimen and maybe even spike your glucose. It's all about peace of mind. And you can't beat peace of mind.

4) Don't be shy about asking for what's good for you, even if it's hard to explain. Once I knew how to ask for limonade sin azucar (fresh limade made with sparkling water and no sugar), I was treated to a refreshing beverage to go with my meals so I didn't feel left behind and didn't have to feel guilty or worried either. It was delicious! (The photo above is of this drink with the vegetarian risoto I had for my last lunch in Havana.)

5) Don't eat something your gut instinct tells you not to eat. With all the problems we have on top of the ones everybody else has, we know better. I wish I didn't have to learn this one the hard way. Enough said?



No comments:

Post a Comment