Monday, April 25, 2016

A Day Late, But Richer Than Ever

This morning, I'm sitting down to write this post on Monday instead of Sunday (as I usually do) because I was out of town all weekend after a week so hectic that I didn't have time to write it in advance. This caused me to remember that, when I was a kid, my mother used to say ruefully when someone would fail to meet her expectations, "A day late and a dollar short..." But, though I'm a day late, I'm richer than I've ever been. Not richer in money, but richer in spirit.

Without going into detail, let me explain a little about what I mean by that. Last summer, I was asked to speak at this weekend's event, which was focused on personal transformation. I had my doubts. I had done similar things before, but felt that, perhaps, I had moved in a different direction and, as busy as I stay, it might be time to start saying no. It stroked my ego to be asked, but I work at not letting my ego make my decisions.

To make a long story short, I ultimately agreed to the commitment and the event was held at a popular Florida resort right on the beach this weekend. So there was sun and salt air and white sand and good food and my very first trip on a jet ski (from which my body is still aching) -- all of which was a joy. But everything else about the weekend was unexpectedly wonderful in ways that I could not possibly have imagined or engineered.

It was life-changing. I got to spend quality time with another speaker who helped me realize some things I had never understood before. I spoke to an audience of 1900 people (the biggest crowd I've ever faced by far). I was able to see how much my willingness to be honest about my personal journey helped hundreds of widely diverse people from all over North America. I was asked if I would be willing to speak at numerous other locations and events. And I reconnected with some people I hadn't seen since fifteen years ago when I left a city feeling like an abject failure with my tail between my legs.

I am often inspired to write on this blog about what we shouldn't do. And sometimes (like when we're romancing the idea of eating something we know is going to spike our blood glucose ridiculously), it's the best decision to say no. But sometimes, we have to listen to our heart or our gut or our best friend or whatever spiritual voice we hear and let it change our mind.

Believe me -- at this crystal moment -- I am more convinced than ever that, even after diabetes has permanently moved in on us, Your Life Isn't Over ~ It May Have Just Begun!

No comments:

Post a Comment