Sunday, March 20, 2016

Lights! Camera! Action!

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was, like most people I knew, not very "active" physically. In fact, taking the stairs at work instead the elevator was pretty much the extent of it. I felt good. I looked okay. I was overweight by thirty pounds, but I saw plenty of people bigger than me. I knew I probably should be more active, but I had no motivation and, frankly, no interest.

Then came The Day, when my doctor said, "I was right. You're diabetic." And when I managed to talk my psyche down off the ceiling long enough to do some homework, it became apparent to me that things were going to have to change. All the information on managing diabetes was telling me to eat less carbs, take my medication, and exercise -- or suffer consequences I did not want to think about.

With no skill at sports like tennis, no desire to buck the swim team at the university pool, and no confidence I could motivate myself to make this change in my life, I gave myself a birthday present of a trainer's services for ninety days to jump start my process. And it worked.

Six months later, I had dropped fifty pounds, gone from a size fourteen to a size four, and developed muscles (who knew that was even possible?). More importantly, I had also developed a new respect for exercise. It lowers stress, lessens depression, puts a spring in your step, and makes you feel proud of yourself while lowering your blood glucose level, your cholesterol, and your blood pressure. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

Later, I spent a year with a big dog who taught me how to run and for the next few years, running three or four miles at least four times a week became my activity of choice. Adding a workout with couple of five pound dumbbells was fun for a while. But then my knees started complaining and the running turned to brisk walking. The dumbbells wound up in the back of the closet. And exercise became more of a chore.

The weather affects my commitment, I know. Summer -- when my schedule at school requires little and the days are sunny -- I'm in the park buzzing around the track listening to audio books and that helps. Which is why my A1C last July was 6.5.

But this is March. School's been getting the bulk of my attention since August. The weather is often iffy, at best. And my A1C last week was 7.1 instead. All my other numbers were great, but I know better than to let the situation slide.

So yesterday, I broke out my Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" DVD (she has a bunch of them out) and I'm now in the process of getting back to where I want to be.

It takes 21 days to make -- or break -- a habit, they say. So I'm going to go to the park or go to the gym or walk with Leslie everyday for the next 20 days. No excuses. I used to run in the morning before going to teach, so I know it's possible to do this. And I'm telling you so I won't play fast and loose with my commitment later. There's a difference between "trying" and "doing it." I'm doing it. And you can join me, if you like.
________________________________
Note: The photo above is a real photo of me in the park near my apartment. Just in case you wondered.

No comments:

Post a Comment