Sunday, January 17, 2016

When Routines Get Broken


I'm a creature of habit, as many of us are. My life tends towards forming itself into routines and at my age, with the freedom of being a person who lives alone, those routines are not often interrupted. This works well for managing my diabetes.

My body typically wakes without an alarm at 6 a.m. after going to bed as a rule between 10 and 11 at night. As soon as I'm up, I do some stretches, make my bed, and check my blood glucose level. Then, I bring in the paper, fix my breakfast, take my insulin, eat while I read the daily news, and hit the computer for the first time of the day. Some mornings, I have to be out and about early and I often have to be in front of a classroom by 9:30, but even when I don't, the routine generally holds.

Yesterday morning, however, was different. For whatever reason, I slept until 7, shuffled to the computer, and typed for over an hour before I realized it. My fasting glucose level (miraculously) had not risen as it sometimes does when I don't take insulin and eat soon after rising, but I knew that eating my breakfast two hours later than usual was going to mess up my routine. And what I chose to eat (a packet of instant oatmeal with walnuts and a chopped date accompanied by a slice of whole wheat toast) sometimes -- though not always -- spikes my glucose.

Because of my teaching schedule, I've gotten used to eating lunch relatively early (between 11 and 12), but I knew that wouldn't be possible after such a late breakfast. Additionally, my uncommonly sedentary morning at the computer might mean that my blood glucose would not come down enough by lunch time even if I chose to eat it late. Still, I wasn't prepared to discover at 11:30 a.m. that my BG was sitting at a nice fat 208.

Seeing it that high always startles me, but I have learned over the years not to panic. It's rather like driving. When something negative unexpectedly happens -- like a pothole appearing or an animal coming onto the road out of nowhere -- I take action. And when a high BG level (or a low one) occurs, I problem-solve as I explain in my book (Your Life Isn't Over ~ It May Have Just Begun!).

Problem-solving might involve trying to figure out how the issue arose so it can be prevented in the future. But not all problems related to my diabetes are readily predictable. Regardless, they have to be dealt with immediately. A BG of 208 at 11:30 a.m. can't be addressed later if I don't want the whole day to tank.

I knew if I waited until my glucose level went down by itself, I might wind up skipping lunch altogether -- not good for my body or my attitude. I knew I could just shoot an extra two or three units of insulin before eating lunch, but if I do that on a regular basis, I'll start putting on weight -- which would soon mean new clothes I frankly can't afford.

So what I did was put on my sneakers, do 45 minutes of fairly intense low impact aerobics in front of my flat screen, and re-check my glucose level, which was then down to 93. This meant I could take my usual dose of insulin, eat a regular lunch at 12:30, and proceed with my day now back on my regular routine. Feeling, I must say, pretty smug. *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment