Sunday, October 25, 2015

Trips Are Trippy

By the time you read this post, I will be in another city, having spent five days at the annual conference of an academic organization I belong to. I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure I will learn a lot and make some new connections. I'll get to stay in a nice hotel and see some folks I really, really like. And I'll have some fun, which -- depending on how I do it -- is good for my mind and body.

But trips can be trippy (1960's speak for "complicated"). I'll never forget last year's conference. I had only been on insulin for four months, after having my diagnosis changed from Type 2 to Type 1.5 (the nickname my endocrinologist uses for Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults or LADA for short). I had a clue by that time, but I was still definitely working out the kinks.

After a layover just long enough to take my insulin and eat a carefully chosen lunch, for example, I boarded the next plane with no snack and found myself an hour later (halfway through my flight) with a glucose level of 55 and no carbs in sight. I explained my situation to the flight attendant who was no better prepared than I was. All I wanted was something to get me to the next destination. I was still easily panicked by the interface between insulin, food, and my emotions at this point and staying very carefully between the lines of what I was allowing myself. Despite my mini-meltdown, needless to say, I survived.

At the hotel a few hours later, when I discovered that I couldn't check in because of some confusion, I again panicked so badly that my glucose went through the roof and stayed there for 24 hours. Nevertheless, by the time I arrived home, I was stabilized again and quite knowledgeable about what to do next time.

So this year, I'm planning in advance. Besides the Werther's Original candies I usually carry for emergency glucose crashes, I'll carry a Nature Valley Protein chewy bar in my purse all the time, as well (14 grams of carb, 10 grams of protein, and loaded with peanuts, almonds, and dark chocolate). I've already gone on the hotel website and made sure their "complimentary breakfast" includes more options than just sweet rolls and coffee. I keep a little cheat sheet in my wallet that lists the low carb options at Starbucks -- a store that shows up everywhere. And when I check in at the hotel, I'll make it a point to ask where I might get some containers of low fat yogurt nearby. Last year, I was still learning that I need a little something to keep my glucose from crashing in the night. I wound up at the downstairs desk at 11 p.m. and had to pay a fortune for yogurt they would only deliver by way of room service.

I'm also packing my sneakers to work out in the fitness center, though I can't imagine when I'll have the time. Guess I'll be changing some habits this year (for more on that, see last week's post). And I'll take my ear buds so I can listen to my meditation playlist on my phone to keep myself balanced under pressure. I'm not a rookie anymore. I know trips can be trippy. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment